The best thing about a cupcake is that it is the perfect little portable dessert. Generally no utensil required! However, I recently saw an episode of Cupcake Wars (remember this one?), and really wanted to try the recipe for Brown Sugar Fig Sauce. These were oooey gooey, lick your fingers, use a spoon kind of cupcakes. On the show, they were presented upside down with the sauce spooned on top, but I didn’t get that fancy.
I love figs. Dried figs are a great little snack and full of fibre and calcium…. (These are the things I repeatedly tell myself when I eat 3 cupcakes in a sitting)
Oh, and I think they symbolize peace too.
Hmmm, I always thought chocolate was the symbol for peace? Weird.
The fig sauce was amazing. I was sadly eating it by the spoonful. The cake itself had a lovely hint of orange flavour and they were so moist! Even a few days later, still very moist! The icing is a simple cream cheese icing. The actual recipe calls for a similar frosting made with goat cheese which looks just as yummy.
The left over fig sauce (if you have some) would be delish on some vanilla ice cream.
The Absurdist Cupcake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Brown Sugar Fig Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with 18 to 19 cupcake liners.
1. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the eggs, orange juice, butter, and vegetable oil on medium speed until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to medium-low speed, and add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Finish mixing by hand just until combined.
2. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely.
Brown Sugar Fig Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 black figs, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the brown sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the figs, butter, and orange zest, and heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 250 g cream cheese – cold
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream the butter and powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and cream cheese in large pieces and beat just until combined (do not over beat).
Note: adding the cream cheese cold makes the icing thicker and easier to pipe onto cakes.