I bet if I polled every follower of SweetRevelations, you would all have your version of the best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Every home has one, that ultimate Chocolate Chip recipe that no one can beat. It might be flat and crispy or thick and slightly chewy in the middle. You may have a whole system down for how to produce the most amazing chocolatey bite; use only dark brown sugar, butter is a must, refrigerate a minimum of one hour before baking, stand on tip toes, tap heels three times and voila! The whole family is delighted and rejoicing in the joy that only this classic cookie can bring.
If you don’t have one, I wonder if you’ve made endless batches on a quest for the perfect recipe?
I present to you my version of the Perfected Chocolate Chip Cookie that is loaded with walnuts and cranberries. It’s my go-to, Sunday baking, soul soothing recipe, that’s super thick, crisp on the outside and slightly soft inside. You might be questioning the cranberry but I urge you to give it a shot. It just adds an extra chewy bit of sweetness that compliments the chocolate chunks so well. Warm from the oven, these are the very definition of comfort food.
All kidding about the heel tapping aside, I do believe the addition of molasses and chilling the dough is what puts these bakery style cookies over the top. I dare say I’ve found the perfect recipe. The batter is on the larger side and will produce close to 40 big cookies. You can bake what you need now and easily freeze dough balls to pop in the oven at a later date.
Life is simply just better with milk and cookies!
Do you have the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe? I would love it if you would share your favourite Chocolate Chip Cookie secrets with me!
Perfected Chocolate Chip Cookies
*adapted from Baking Illustrated
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks, semi sweet
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 325°
1. Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, combine the sugars and the butter and mix well. Add eggs, yolks, vanilla and molasses. Mix until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Stir in chocolate, walnuts and cranberries.
3. Refrigerate the dough for an hour. Using a cookie scoop (mine is 2″ in diameter), scoop chilled dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 18 mins. Let the cookies rest on the sheet for about 2 mins. Store in an airtight container.