This week-end is our Canada Thanksgiving. It’s an extra long week-end at home with family and friends to enjoy each other’s company and be thankful for all of our blessings.
It’s also when we full on break out all of our best pumpkin recipes.
The combination of pumpkin and spices has to be my all time favourite. It’s too bad that we only seem to enjoy them during the fall and winter season.
This morning we had a lazy morning at the house. Good coffee, lots of sunshine.
And Spicy Pumpkin Beignets.
Pumpkin, fall spices and warm freshly fried beignets?
We are thankful for that in this house.
I’m even more grateful that I was able to make the dough the night before and refrigerate it until breakfast. It’s a recipe that’s quickly thrown together and fairly quick in the morning. I also like to include a super fast bowl of spicy glaze for dipping.
It leaves me more time to sit and enjoy the people I’m most thankful for.
We are a fortunate family.
We have a beautiful home, amazing families and the most awesome group of friends that support us.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Spicy Pumpkin Beignets
*adapted from the famous Café Du Monde recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water (100°-110°)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 7 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cups shortening, cut into chunks
- canola oil
- powdered sugar for dusting
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Let bloom for 5 minutes. Add the salt, spices, sugar, eggs, cream, and pumpkin. Blend them with the whisk attachment until well combined.
2. Switch to the dough hook and add 4 cups of flour. Add the shortening. Add the next 3 cups of flour and mix until blended. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Heat oil in a large pot or fryer until 350.° Drop small balls of dough into the hot oil and fry for 4-6 minutes. Beignets should be a nice golden brown colour.
4. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy every last warm delicious bite!
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 2-3 tbsp. cream
Combine all ingredients and stir until smooth and glaze consistency (add cream as needed).
Free Printable- Thanksgiving Gift Tags at Amanda’s Parties To Go!