Wow, say that five times fast!
It’s a mouthful but sooo yummy! Topped off with a Lindt White Chocolate Truffle. Glorious.
First, I’m delighted to say that I’ve been asked to do an interview and send some Christmas recipes to Goost.fr a french website dedicated to the pleasures of taste. It’s part of CBS Interactive France and offers recipes, products, forums and the best culinary practises from foodies all around the globe. And they liked SweetRevelations!
I wanted to add these cupcakes to my submission because cranberries are a huge part of Christmas dinners and desserts. Thanksgiving dinners too for that matter! The Swiss Meringue Buttercream is flavoured with a delicious Cranberry Sauce made with Pomegranate Juice and sugar. So simple.
This is only a part recipe. You make 24 of your best vanilla cupcakes (or white butter cakes would be good too) and I’ll do the rest! Allow them time to cool.
First, you’ll need to make your Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce. I found this recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks! and really, it only takes 20 minutes and after you see the beautiful deep cranberry colour of the sauce you’ll never buy that bland canned stuff again!
You’ll have lots left over to spread over those Buttermilk Scones that we made here.
Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce
- 16 oz fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 oz pure pomegranate juice
1. Place all ingredients in a medium-sized pan and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Next, White Chocolate Ganache. Use quality chocolate here, such as Callebaut or Lindt for the best finger-lickin ganache. This needs some time to cool before dipping your cupcakes.
White Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped white chocolate
- 4 tbsp heavy cream (more if needed for consistency)
1. Place a small stainless/glass bowl over a pot of simmering water (about an inch is all you need). Put the chocolate and cream into the bowl. When there are only small bits of chocolate left, remove it from the heat and whisk until smooth. Leave it on the counter to cool while you make your icing.
Cranberry Pomegranate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Cranberry Sauce (above) to taste, approx 3/4 cup
1. Fill a saucepan (large enough to fit your mixing bowl just a few inches) with two inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low so water continues to simmer.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, hand whisk the egg whites and the sugar just until combined. Place over simmering pot and whisk for approx 4 mins until the egg whites are hot (about 150 degrees). The sugar should be dissolved by this time as well. Place bowl on stand mixer and attach the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until whites have increased in volume, are thick and glossy and the outside of the bowl is just slightly warm to the touch (this can take up to 10 minutes!).
3. Remove whisk attachment and replace with paddle attachment. Beat on low-speed until mixture is completely cooled. Increase speed to medium and add butter pieces one at a time. Scrape the bowl and continue to beat until buttercream is glossy, smooth and thick. It may separate at first, but continue beating and it will emulsify. Add vanilla flavouring, a pinch of salt and Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce (to taste) and beat until combined. Use immediately
1. Dip cooled cupcakes into cooled White Chocolate Ganache. If you put a lot of ganache on, it will all drip down the sides, so very little is needed. Just enough to put a nice coating on top of the cake. Allow the ganache time to set before you pipe your icing on top. I put these into the fridge for about 1/2 hour before piping on the icing.
2. Once ganache has set, pipe on your Cranberry Pomegranate Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I used a 1M Wilton tip to allow some of those yummy cranberry chunks to squeeze through. A large round tip would be even better.
3. Top with a Lindt White Chocolate Truffle and devour.