Yesterday we went on our annual road trip through Niagara Wine Country. It’s miles and miles of scenic estate wineries and orchards. Niagara-On-The-Lake is a quaint place with beautiful boutiques and restaurants.
We go every year to get some fresh peaches and of course wine. Yesterday we stopped at a local orchard and picked up a variety of stone fruits. And then off to none other than The Great One, Wayne Gretzky’s Estate Winery. All perfect ingredients for some Stone Fruit Upside-Down Cake and White Wine Sangria.
Stone Fruit Upside-Down Cake
*adapted from Cake Goddess
- 2-3 medium peaches, halved, pitted, skinned and thinly sliced
- 2 apricots, halved, pitted and thinly slice
- 6 cherries, halved and pitted
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 12 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened (4 for bottom of pan, 8 tablespoons for the batter)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
Heat the oven to 350°F degrees.
1. In the bottom of a springform pan pour 4 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Place sliced fruit, slightly overlapping, to cover the entire bottom of pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the sugar and rest of the butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each addition. Add lemon zest and mix well.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture in 5 additions. Start and end with flour mixture. Mix last addition of flour by hand.
4. Pour batter over fruit mixture and bake for 55-60 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Serve with a dollop of cream.
White Wine Sangria
- 1 Bottle of white wine (Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1/2 cup Peach Schnapps
- 2 sliced peaches
- 1 sliced apricot
- handful of cherries
- 1/2 liter of ginger ale (if preferred)
1. Pour wine and Schnapps in a pitcher and add sliced peaches, apricots and cherries. Chill mixture for at least one hour. Add ginger ale just before serving.